We’ve finally started restoring the XK140. It’s taken us a while to get around to it due to so many people asking us to prepare their classic for the summer, delaying work on the XK for several months.
After having prepared the body for the paint job, we braced it up and removed it from the chassis. Right now, it’s at the paint shop to have its inner panels re-sprayed. The outer body will get its paint after it’s back on the chassis.
The chassis has been sandblasted and powder coated. It was in remarkably good condition, with only some minor surface rust. No welding was necessary. All of the suspension components have been sandblasted and powder coated as well. The front and rear suspension was reassembled using new rubber bushes and new bolts and nuts. The upper and lower ball joints are new. The rear leaf springs are new, as well as the four shockers (adjustable Spax).
The rear axle has been taken apart and all the bearings have been replaced. The rear brakes have received new cylinders and brake shoes and the drums have been rectified. The steering rack was disassembled but showed none or very little wear, so we reassembled without reconditioning it. We will convert the car to front disc brakes, so we ordered a kit from Coopercraft.
I’ll do my best to keep you folks informed about the ongoing restoration.